It all started with a craving for Tiramisu. I had gathered all the ingredients the day before–went all the way to the supermarket to buy mascarpone, dug out a dusty old bottle of Tiramisu Liqueur and everything. Even decided to make my own lady fingers. But then it started raining and I got lazier and lazier. Couldn’t bring myself to slave away in the kitchen while the trees outside bathed so sexily and Avanee sat herself in the window and watched it all. It makes me so happy that Avanee is as thrilled about little things like rain and new flowers and birds as I am. So anyway, I just chucked the idea of making an elaborate Tiramisu and made this quick-fix mocha cake instead. It satisfied all the cravings, though! In MK’s words, it was one of the best cakes I’ve ever made. So there!
- 150 gms. flour
- 150 gms. demerara sugar
- 100 gms. + 1 tsp. butter
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 heaped tsp. instant coffee
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- Icing sugar to dust
- Cocoa to Dust
- Place eggs, the 100 gms. of butter, demerara sugar, and vanilla in a blender and blend until creamy.
- Dissolve the coffee in the milk and add to the egg mixture. Blend to combine.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into the blender and blend again, momentarily, just to combine.
- Pour into a greased and lined cake tin (I used an 8 inch round pan) and bake for about 40 mins. until a skewer comes out clean.
- Invert the cake and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate ganache by placing the chopped chocolate, cream, and 1 tsp. butter in a heatproof bowl and microwaving for one minute (stop and stor once at 30 seconds and microwave again if necessary). Stir to combine. You should get a thick, glossy ganache.
- Slice the cake into half, horizontally.
- Spread the ganache evenly on one half of the cake and place the other half over to sandwich.
- Dust icing sugar and cocoa on the top by pushing them through a tea strainer.
- Place on a pretty platter and serve with hot coffee!