I love this time of the year because it brings in my favorite fruits. I never mourn the end of the mango season because it is then time for the peaches, cherries, lychees, apricots, plums and other lovely fruits to come in. If it’s raining and cold where you are at the moment, this recipe is just for you. It makes you all warm and fuzzy.
Here’s the recipe:
Peach Upside Down with Warm Cherry Sauce
Ingredients for the fruit layer:
- 1/2 cup demerara sugar
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 3 peaches, stoned and sliced
Ingredients for the cake:
- 100 gms. butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract/1 vanilla bean, scraped
Ingredients for the cherry sauce:
- 2 cups of fresh cherries
- 3 tbsp. caster sugar
- 4 tbsp. water
- Grease and line a baking tin with parchment.
- Cream the demerara sugar and 3 tbsp. butter and spread on the bottom of the cake tin.
- Arrange the sliced peaches over the butter and sugar layer. Set aside.
- To make the cake, place the butter, sugar, and eggs in a mixing bowl or food processor and whisk until creamy. Add vanilla and process again to mix.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder together into the egg mixture and fold until no lumps are formed. If you think the the batter is too thick, add a few tablespoonfuls of milk.
- Pour the batter on the sliced peaches.
- Bake at 190 degrees centigrade until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Invert the cake onto a pretty serving dish.
- To make the sauce, place all teh ingredients in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and cook on medium heat for about 10-15 minutes until the cherries turn squishy.
- Mash the cherries with the back of a spoon. Pass through a sieve.
- Serve each slice of cake with some warm cherry sauce.