You heard that right. It’s a soup, not a juice, not a smoothie. It’s a liquid that you ladle into a soup bowl, garnish, and eat with a soup spoon sitting in your favourite corner in the house.
I was really looking forward to a small visit out of town and suddenly, it had to be called off. I spent all of last evening and this morning moping. I made a bland breakfast and didn’t talk much. And then I made this soup. In minutes, I was another person. It was like I was being pumped with endorphins. I have nothing else to say. Summer is upon us, and you must be armed with this.
Psst:- Try this with strawberries!
Watermelon and Mint Soup
- 2 cups watermelon, cubed
- A handful of fresh mint (or basil!)
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/4 inch fresh, tender, root ginger (skip this if you have fibrous ginger)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black and pink peppercorns
- 1/2 cup chopped watermelon
- Good extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
- Place the 2 cups of watermelon, all but a sprig of mint, lemon juice, and salt in a blender and blend without any water.
- Pour into a soup bowl.
- Grind black and pink peppercorns directly onto the soup if you have a pepper mill; else sprinkle liberally.
- Drizzle a few drops of good quality extra virgin olive oil and decorate with a sprig of mint.
- Eat immediately.